What did we do?
We wanted to see what would be involved in using the many digital signage screens across the UBC Vancouver campus to promote Alumni Weekend 2012. This was done because during normal operation, despite being on the same network, the digital signage screens across campus operate as individual nodes that serve the units that purchased them. We wanted to see if we can leverage the enterprise infrastructure that exists to enhance the experience of Alumni Weekend 2012 participants.
How did we do it?
- Identified signs that would be seen by Alumni Weekend participants and worked with the respective signage owners to “take over” their screens for Saturday, May 26th 2012.
- Specified what content would add value to the Alumni Weekend experience. This included:
- A curated stream of tweets and tweets with pictures from the #UBCAlumniWknd conversation on Twitter
- Photos from the Alumni Weekend photo booth
- Video from the Start An Evolution campaign
- Event postings that highlighted upcoming events throughout the day
- Staffing and resources.
- One staff member was updating signage schedules, creating content, and curating tweets from 7:30am to 5:00pm
- 27 screens were displaying Alumni Weekend content (event counts are system wide from 7:00am-5:00pm)
- Total impressions for Alumni Weekend content: 60114
- The next campus-wide event that we’ll be trying this “coordinated” approach with is Imagine Day 2012 (September 4th, 2012)
- For Alumni Weekend 2013 we’ll look to:
- Live-stream video of events happening to signs across campus
- Provide campus maps of where upcoming events are
- Compile alumni profiles to be shared across campus
- Provide a bus schedule for the Alumni Weekend shuttles that is updated in real-time
The opportunity to add to a cohesive experience for our alumni and friends wouldn’t have been possible without the help of:
- UBC Alumni Affairs
- UBC Development Office
- Centre for Student Involvement
- UBC Career Services
- Enrolment Services
- Sauder School of Business
- UBC Library
- UBC Sustainability Office (CIRS)
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Law at Allard Hall
- Faculty of Arts